Saturday, June 1, 2013

Gluttony

Oh, the luxury! The sinful pleasure! I fell asleep around 9 last night and slept in until almost 7 this morning. And here I sit, casually writing my blog, without any time constraints, nestled in my cozy bed in my air conditioned room. I really feel as though I should feel guilty, but I refuse. I'm just going to smile and enjoy it. For at least another hour. And then I'll get serious.

Yesterday was a delightful day. I slept in then a little too. Then I got up and got ready for church. It took a little bit of investigative research to find the exact house-converted-to-church, but I found it, of course by watching for Mormon-looking people going in. It's a good thing I was watching close! Only 8 were there! It was the smallest branch, by far, that I have ever attended.

I sat down near a lovely Arab woman from Nazareth. Her husband was in the district presidency, and was presiding, since apparently the branch president was at another branch translating into Spanish. He spoke very good English, and repeated everything he said in Hebrew and Spanish. Astounding! One of the families in the branch is from Uruguay, and they translate everything! On the wall, the hymns are listed in English, Spanish, what I think might be Russian (anyone able to confirm or correct?) and Hebrew. The Sacrament was blessed by the one young man there, and he blessed it in Hebrew! I was rather surprised, but so delighted.

And then it was time for bearing testimonies. Already a special spirit was in the room, but as testimony meeting began, I was overcome with how powerful the Holy Ghost was, and my own emotions. Almost everyone in the room shared their testimony – and it still didn't take the whole time. I also shared mine, and became rather emotional (I never cry in a testimony! I pride myself on this fact. But, alas, I was forced to find a tissue).

After the meeting I had the opportunity to speak with Sister Susan Mazawwi, the woman I had sat next to. The story of her husband's and her conversion to the Church is rather remarkable. They didn't have very much time to tell it, but essentially, they had noticed the light in some members' eyes (remember, we as members can't share or speak of our faith here, other than to acknowledge that we are members of the Church). When they were in America some time later, they asked about it, and upon returning, went to Cyprus to receive the lessons. They were baptized in the Mediterranean Sea in Cyprus almost two years ago. This last year they traveled to Switzerland to receive their Temple Endowment and be sealed as a family. I got her email address, and I'll be going to see her while I'm Nazareth this week.

After the church meetings were over, I got talking to Sister Hansen. She teaches at a local college here, but is still working on her dissertation. (Her son is the one that blessed the Sacrament.) When she found out I was at Brandeis, she asked about someone who had written their MA thesis on President Benson and the State of Israel. I gasped, “That was me!” I could hardly believe someone here knew about that! She also asked if I knew Jason Olsen, which, of course, I did. She asked what I thought of him, and I said Jason and I don't see eye to eye on a few things. She was glad to hear it, and proceeded to tell me all about it. I won't go into it now, but she helped me feel much better about many of the frustrations I have experienced over the last year. And she wants to collaborate with me on writing a history of the Church in the Holy Land! That sounds like a great idea to me!

I asked about places to eat on Shabbat, and they directed me to an Arab restaurant in Golani (Sylvia and Anny – remember that? It's where we started our hiking). So, after making a trip to some of the local Christian sites, I made my way over there to eat. And eat I did! The waiter was very attentive, and I managed the whole thing in Hebrew! I got pita and hummus, with a cucumber-tomato salad and pickled cucumbers and olives to start. Then the main course was called shishlik, which is skewered chicken cooked over the grill. Delicious! After that he brought me coffee and some sort of small, gelatin-like dessert with cinnamon sprinkled on top, and smothered in a bright pink sweet sauce that tasted ever-so-slightly like cough-syrup. But it was very good. I decided that while I'm here, I might as well fully partake in the local customs, so I took a sip of the coffee. It was dark, rich and bitter. Just kidding! Of course I didn't drink the coffee! But it did smell dark, rich and bitter! Instead, I drank my fill of fresh lemonade with fresh mint. Just when I thought I was finished (my tummy was so entirely full!), the waiter brought out two little bit-size pastries, both with pistachios in the middle. They were delicious, even if I could barely squeeze them in.

And that was that. I suppose I should get myself ready and get to some of the other sites I need to see today. The internet is insufferable at this place – the one drawback. So, I'll upload the pictures I took yesterday of the view from the church, and of some of the Christian sites, tomorrow. If I remember correctly, Fauzi Azar has good internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment