Monday, June 3, 2013

Madness in the streets of Nazareth

Exciting goings on around here! I was sitting on my bed, trying to ignore the smell of pigeon (they are much to friendly downstairs), peacefully working on a few things on my computer, when, suddenly, someone pounded on the big door outside the hostel and was yelling something in English. He sounded panicked. Then I heard some Arab voices, and wondered if some crazy American had tried to steal some souvenirs and was being apprehended. I couldn't fathom what might be going on!

It calmed down a bit, then it happened again, and some guy was yelling to someone named Rachel. Then all of a sudden a girl was also yelling. Now I was up ready to duck for cover. It calmed down again.

Then it happened again. And I realized they must be filming something here. I can see how the narrow, picturesque streets would be an ideal spot. And I remembered that this morning I had seen a bunch of camera equipment. It was coming together. Now they're on their 4th or 5th shot. I went out and talked to one of the crew, found out that it's an independent film about a couple of girls who come to Israel on vacation and get into some trouble. Sounds like my mom's imagination come to life! The funny thing is, it's really quiet here. Even in the main market, filled with all kinds of wares, and especially souvenirs, the owners don't holler and try to get you to come in and buy. The yelling of the actors is really a huge contrast to the quiet, peaceful ambience here. Clearly movies do NOT represent reality.

I have had quite the day! It's been lovely. I woke up a little early, enough to get going on a hike I wanted to do. I arrived after about 45 minutes on top of Mt. Precipice, where, traditionally, the Jews tried to stone Jesus by throwing him off the steep ledges. It was a good incline, but not too long. My body's cooling system is back and better than ever - I was drenched by the time I reached the top. But what a view! And those dumb little blisters (that appear on my arms when I'm hot) came back in full force as well! What the heck are those? I'll include some pics and a video I took.

I made my way back to Nazareth again, hopped on a bus to Cana, and went to inspect the Wedding Church (the traditional site where Jesus turned water to wine). It's a nice little place, but I was finished seeing everything I wanted to see after 20 minutes. So, I grabbed an ice cream, then got on a bus, and headed back. I stopped at a little restaurant here in Nazareth, stuffed myself with pita and hummus (my favorite thing, I've decided), and came back to the hostel for a half hour nap.

After my nap I went back out to meet up with Sister Mazzawi, whom I had met at church on Saturday. She works in a very nice advertising office - well, she and her husband own it. I think they are quite wealthy, from the looks of things. We had a nice little chat. I really chuckled when she told me that when I bore my testimony, she had a strong feeling that I would be someone that people remember, like Hillary Clinton. I hope not like that! She said I'm very charismatic and will do something great one day. That was a little surprising to hear, but nice. I do hope to do some good in this world.

***I have to update and tell you that, as I was sitting here writing this, I was recruited to be an extra in the little film going on downstairs. So, now you may see me in such important films as Species (yes, at at 15 I was an extra in that. Never saw it) and now some independent Israeli film. Not sure what it's called. (Sigh) The life of the rich and famous.

Saw this as I was walking down the street this morning, on the way to climb Mt. Precipice. Really? Friends? Made me laugh. (The clip below this shows the view from atop the mountain.)


Wedding Church in Cana - the traditional site where Jesus turned the water into wine. (The clip below shows a service going on at the church when I walked in.)


Ruins of the ancient church.

The ruins have become quite the money pit! Sylvia, here's what to do with all that small change!

1 comment:

  1. Wow what fun adventures you are having. When are you coming home? Sorry i am going to miss the reunion again :-( i really wanted to support you guys. Good luck with everything, have fun.

    ReplyDelete